By now, we hope all our patients know to brush and floss twice a day, but that’s not all that goes into good oral habits at home:
- Change your toothbrush – everyone should be changing their toothbrush every three months and use one with soft bristles. If you are sick before the three-month time period is up, you should change your toothbrush after you are past your illness.
- Eat and drink healthy – Sugary snacks or drinks in between brushing, and flossing can create a substance that sits on the teeth for an extended period time. Consider brushing an hour after consuming anything high in carbohydrates or sugars.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste – There are a ton of toothpastes on the market available through hundreds of vendors, but not all of them are American Dental Association approved. Always look for the ADA recommended label and make sure fluoride is in your toothpaste. Fluoride protects your teeth from decay and reduces the wear and tear of acids on the enamel.
- Clean your tongue – Use a tongue scraper to glide over your tongue and remove any residue. You can also use your toothbrush to gently brush any remnants of food off your tongue each time you brush. Removing this “film” will help your mouth feel cleaner and fresher as well as better prevent bad breath.
- Don’t wait to seek dental care – You should see the dentist twice a year, but if you are experiencing any oral pain, unusual growths, soreness or discoloration, contact us for an appointment. In many cases, these can be signs of infection or the need for a procedure and can worsen over time if not treated quickly.
- Rinse with antibacterial mouthwash – The right mouthwash can freshen breath, kill bacteria, diminish plaque, and prevent cavities. It can also prevent infection. Talk to Drs. Cox and Clarke about the right mouthwash for you because not all mouthwashes carry the same benefits.
Belle Meade Family Dental serves patients in Flowood, Brandon and the surrounding areas of Rankin County. We offer same-day crowns, cosmetic and restorative procedures, cleaning and prevention services, dental implants and tooth extraction. At Belle Meade Family Dental, we aim to provide the ultimate patient experience with the highest level of quality care.